Construction Project Management Articles: a Roundup of Posts [Plus Bonuses]
The role of construction project management is to oversee and coordinate all aspects of a construction project from its initiation to completion. It includes both specialized elements and aspects that are applicable to project management in other industries.
Having a cohesive team, proper skills, enough resources, and robust construction project management software like GanttPRO, you’ll easily complete even the most complex project on time and within budget.
In order to make your work on construction sites and in the office more efficient, we’ve prepared a set of construction project management articles on the most relevant topics. These materials help construction companies worldwide to improve project management processes using a powerful Gantt chart maker.
To simplify your efforts in seeking and exploring relevant articles, we’ve compiled all the materials into a convenient roundup.
So, let’s dive into the summaries of these articles and get the necessary knowledge and skills for your future construction masterpieces.
- How to compose an effective construction scope of work: 8 steps and example.
- How to manage a construction project step by step: a complete guide.
- Construction project checklist to make your work flawless [fee PDF included].
- 5 construction workflows for your projects [and how to improve them].
- Practical construction project management tips and insights from experts: how to improve construction work.
- How to improve communication in construction: 12 ideas to rally managers, teams, and stakeholders.
- What сauses сonstruction project delays: 9 reasons that make work fall behind schedule.
- Best construction scheduling software [including online, free, open source, and Mac-focused solutions].
- Bonus: construction project management software.
- Bonus: construction project management templates.
How to compose an effective construction scope of work: 8 steps and example
A scope of work (SoW) guides and manages all stages of the work construction teams should perform on their project. This crucial document outlines the activities required for successful project completion, preventing issues like backtracking, time loss, and weak communication. It typically includes timelines, milestones, deliverables, and reports.
There are basic elements of a construction scope of work you should consider when preparing one. By completing them in sequential order, you’ll be able to get a big picture of your project and add necessary details if required.
In this article, we cover all these elements and other useful insights about a construction scope of work document.
- What is a scope of work in construction?
- What should a construction scope of work include?
- How to write a scope of work for construction?
- Construction scope of work example.
Read more about the construction scope of work.
How to manage a construction project step by step: a complete guide
Effective construction project management leads to competitive results and promotes cohesion and increased productivity within teams. To make the process flawless and overcome possible challenges, project managers need to have a solid strategy with specific steps and professional management software for assistance.
From generating work conception to the successful project closeout, you need to be sure that your project is completed on time and within the defined budget.
What are the specific actions to achieve excellent managerial results?
Learn more about how to manage a construction project step by step.
Construction project checklist to make your work flawless [free PDF included]
Construction teams all over the world use a construction project checklist as a valuable tool that enhances the management and execution of projects. It promotes consistency, accountability, and thoroughness in all their activities.
The checklist typically contains tasks, items, or actions that need to be completed or addressed throughout the lifecycle of a construction project. This is an excellent guide that ensures that all necessary steps are taken and nothing is overlooked. With its assistance, you may cover various aspects of your construction project including planning, execution, monitoring, safety, quality control, equipment, and more.
In our article, we describe everything you need to know about a construction project checklist.
- What is a construction project checklist?
- Benefits of using construction project checklists.
- 5 stages of a construction project checklist.
Read more about the construction project checklist.
5 construction workflows for your projects [and how to improve them]
Construction workflows refer to the systematic sequence of activities and processes involved in completing a construction project, from initial planning to completion. They reflect the steps, tasks, and dependencies needed for successful project execution.
A well-defined construction workflow helps streamline operations, improve efficiency, and minimize possible rework. You may use any of the construction workflows that differentiate based on several factors, including the type of construction project, the project’s size, its complexity, and the specific requirements of the client. All of them ensure a structured approach to construction work, optimizing construction resource management, and maximizing overall project success.
In our article, we outline the following sections:
- What is a construction workflow?
- The benefits of construction workflows.
- Preconstruction workflow and how to improve it.
- Building information modeling workflow and how to improve it.
- Submittals workflow and how to improve it.
- Cost management workflow and how to improve it.
- Closeout workflow and how to improve it.
Read more about construction workflows.
Practical construction project management tips and insights from experts: how to improve construction work
Construction projects can be complex and protracted. They can span over extended periods, involving numerous phases.
Even experienced project managers sometimes need to learn something new about their job and adopt fundamental construction project management tips. By following these tips and utilizing appropriate construction project management software, they will be able to outperform those who do not adhere to professional standards.
Do you have enough knowledge and skills to manage construction processes? If there is even a small gap, it’d be great for you to get a portion of professional recommendations.
In our article, we share the following construction project management tips:
- Hire a professional team.
- Explore the details before starting any project.
- Plan ahead.
- Boost communication.
- Track changes.
- Monitor construction costs.
- Establish documentation processes.
- Keep meetings brief and productive.
- Prioritize team safety.
- Embrace reporting.
- Listen to the experts but stay the only source of truth.
Read more about construction project management tips.
How to improve communication in construction: 12 ideas to rally managers, teams, and stakeholders
Communication in construction refers to the exchange of information among all stakeholders involved in a project. It plays a crucial role in ensuring the successful planning, execution, and completion of any construction project whether it’s building a garage in your backyard or renovating a huge aircraft hangar.
Effective communication helps to establish clear goals, coordinate teams, manage risks, enable decision-making, and satisfy clients. And there are specific ways for maintaining effective communication and keeping projects running smoothly.
From our article, you will learn more about these ways and also about the importance of communication in construction.
- Why is communication important in construction?
- Types of communication in construction.
- Ways to improve communication in construction.
Read more about communication in construction.
What causes construction project delays: 9 reasons that make work fall behind schedule
Construction project delays may lead to irreparable consequences. Unfortunately, a situation when the completion of a construction project is postponed beyond the originally planned or expected timeline can happen at any time.
Delays in construction projects can occur at various stages, from the initial design to the final inspections. They can be caused by a wide range of factors, including but not limited to:
- Poor project planning.
- Budget conflicts and inaccuracies.
- Economic changes.
- Project complexity and uniqueness.
- Weak communication.
- A poorly defined scope of work.
- The lengthy process of getting necessary approvals.
- Weather, natural disasters, and other external factors.
- Injuries and safety issues.
Luckily, there are certain methods, rules, and tools that help predict and manage these delays.
Read more about the construction project delays.
Best construction scheduling software [including online, free, open source, and Mac-focused solutions]
Construction scheduling software helps construction professionals in creating, managing, and monitoring project plans and schedules. It provides a digital platform for organizing and tracking project activities, resources, timelines, and dependencies.
Such platforms typically include task management, resource allocation, critical path analysis, Gantt charts, project calendars, progress tracking, reporting, and other essential features.
In our article, you will learn more about construction scheduling software.
- What is construction scheduling software?
- Types of construction scheduling software.
- Features of construction scheduling software.
- Benefits of construction scheduling software.
- Free scheduling software for construction.
- Online construction scheduling software.
- Construction scheduling software for Mac.
- Open source construction scheduling software.
Learn more about the best scheduling software for construction.
Bonus: construction project management software
Looking for the best software to manage construction projects? No need to go far as GanttPRO is ready to come to the rescue.
The robust construction project management platform offers functionality to help construction project teams plan, manage and track their projects from start to finish, providing the necessary features for successful project completion.
If you strive to streamline workflows, increase visibility, and provide office and field teams with the information they need for effective construction project management, then GanttPRO is your best choice. It provides advanced features and characteristics, including:
- Project planning and scheduling.
- Task management.
- Communication and collaboration.
- Resource management.
- Budgeting and cost control.
- Risk management.
- Reporting and analytics.
- Mobile compatibility.
- Integration capabilities.
- Construction templates.
- User-friendly interface.
Learn why GanttPRO is your top choice of construction project management software based on a Gantt chart.
Bonus: construction project management templates
Handy templates for construction project management assist teams in organizing and managing various aspects of construction projects.
They save time by offering predefined structures and formats, allowing project managers to focus on specific project requirements. In addition, templates facilitate smooth collaboration within your team, as everyone can have access to them.
Free construction templates provided by GanttPRO are scalable and adaptable.
Find construction project management templates right for your construction project.